Sunday, November 4, 2018

De Vos Cafe - Oh for Fox sake!

De Vos Cafe, off De Vos Road in Bambalapitiya, has been creating much buzz on social media, specially after a Yamu review that it seems not many people agree with. Who ever is in charge of social media at De Vos is also doing a fantastic job with some sharp wit and a good sense of humor. So much so that I had to check it out for myself.


Unfortunately I didn't have my camera, so no pictures of the place, but I decided to take some food pics off my phone. This wasn't a planned stop, just joining my wife and her friends when they took a break from shopping to have lunch. The place will have to wait for another time (which will happen as I want to try the French Dip Sandwich, hilariously featured here)

For now, first thing on the list - English Pub Breakfast
Made a slight mistake, this comes with toast with butter and jam, but that came after a slight delay and I had already dug into this, so I didn't retake pictures including that. Pulse has pictures if you want to look into it. This looked way too good to sit around and wait. (I was right about that.) It IS a bit on the pricey side, (Though normal for the Colombo cafe scene) but at least you are getting a lot for your money, so can't really complain. Not something I would order every time (cholesterol is too high to be having all this bacon and hash browns) but it can definitely be recommended as a good solid meal. Going by the pics on Yamu, this has definitely improved in quantity.

The wife went on a more traditional route, rice and curry, called Lankan Delight. Once again it seems a ridiculous thing to go to a cafe and spend this much money on a rice and curry which can be had for approximately 1/4 of the cost from a place much closer to home, but as an experience, it's good. Quantity, check. Taste, check. Slightly too much spice for my tastes, but my wife is more of a fan of chillie, and she liked it just fine. I will add that there are certain meals worth sweating to eat and this would be worth the sweat from eating the spice.

I didn't try the other food, which was a chicken taco with penne alfredo and a vege and cheese sandwich, but the reactions were quite positive, and I can tell you, the portions were more than generous. The fries are interesting, they had a flavour I couldn't identify, not sure what it was, but whatever it was, I'm a fan.



We had drinks, which I didn't take pictures of, but quick summary. I had iced tea, which was nice, came with sugar syrup separately (which I appreciate) and also in rather large mason glass (which is also much appreciated). The girls had some coffee and something called a lemondrop. The one who ordered it apparently didn't read the description and wasn't a fan of the strong lemongrass flavour, but I, who love the lemongrass flavour, loved it and recommend it highly.

Definitely a place I would stop at to have a tea or lemondrop and read a book when I need to kill some time.

No comments: