Friday, January 4, 2019

The Steuart

Right off the bat, I'll admit a bit of bias, &Co pub and kitchen at the Steuart is one of my favourite places in Colombo, and it's a pity I don't get to visit more often. (And they make a mean Bloody Mary, but that wasn't included this visit 😄)

&Co has a dark and cozy atmosphere, with the heraldic crests from Scot clans decorating the brick finish walls. Tartan patterns on the place mats add to the Scots Pub atmosphere. According to Wiki, Steuarts was founded by a "British" sea captain, but considering the spelling of Steuarts instead of Stewarts, I think Scottish is probably accurate. There is an outdoor area too, which I am not fond of, for people into that kinda thing. Colombo is warm, and AC is bliss, as far as I am concerned, and the dark, cool, air conditioned interior suits me just fine.



At this time of year, they had Christmas decor up too.

Not entirely sure what was on here...

&Co has a large menu, which is not cheap, but the portions are quite large, so there is value for money. Go with a decent appetite. Also the drinks are quite reasonable for this very touristy area of Colombo. The wait staff is pretty good too, attentive, and they know what they are selling. 

For this visit, I went with an old favourite, Pork Lamprais for lunch, and a good ol' cuppa mint tea to wash it down. 


Steuarts built up their business in the coffee trade and later tea when Sri Lanka transitioned from coffee to tea after a pest devastated the islands coffee plantations, and they still produce their own tea. It's a small thing, but nice touch. The fact that they bring a pot that holds two cups is nice too.




The lamprais was good, but it was a bit different from last time, where the pork was more of a juicy preparation, where this time it was a dry preparation. Personally I feel the more juicy version is better in a steaming hot lamprais, but this can't be faulted, the preparation is excellent. 

On a complete aside, the pub is also a nice place to take pictures, since the dark atmosphere means that controlling the light is easier, not a lot of ambient to worry about. I look forward to my next visit.

No comments: